405 Summit Street
Contributing, ca. 1918
Local architect C. Gilbert Humphreys designed this unusual two-story frame house with wood shingle siding and handsome Classical detailing. The house has a low hip roof with widely overhanging eaves and a pedimented dormer, multiple bay windows, and a heavy wrap-around porch with a slightly projecting pedimented entrance bay and paneled Classical posts set on a solid brick skirt. Two tiers of steps lead from the sidewalk to the front entrance.
This was originally the residence of Dr. Wingate M. Johnson and his wife, Undine, who purchased the property in 1917 and built the house shortly thereafter. From 1933 to 1946 it served as the first location of Summit School, a prominent local private school. (TR, CD)